Soft Mist Inhaler
What is a soft mist inhaler?
Soft Mist Inhaler (SMI) is an inhaler developed for use with respiratory drugs in the treatment of obstructive lung diseases. Generation of the soft mist from SMI is purely mechanical, so propellants are not necessary. The innovative design of SMI, using water-based drug formulations, ensures patients receive consistent and reliable doses of the drug with each actuation.
Parts of SMI
The Cap is used to keep the inhaler free from any contamination. The inhaler should be kept covered when not in use. The mouthpiece is placed in the mouth to take the dose. The air vent helps to inhale the medicine from the inhaler easily. Dose Release button and dose Indicator.
How to use SMI
Let’s start by learning how to prepare your SOFT MIST Inhaler for First Time USE. You need to do these steps when using a new SMI.
- While keeping the cap closed, PRESS the safety catch while you pull off the clear base (BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE PIERCING element).
- Write the discharge date. (3 months from the day you insert the cartridge)
- Take the cartridge and push the narrow end into the Inhaler.
- Place the inhaler on a hard surface and push down firmly.
- A “CLICK” will be Heard and about 1/8 of an inch of the cartridge will be visible. (DO NOT REMOVE CARTRIDGE ONCE INSERTED)
- Put the clear base back into place until you hear a “click”. (Do not remove the clear base again)
Priming for first time use
- With the cap closed, turn the clear base in the direction of the arrows on the label until it clicks (half a turn).
- Push upon the small, circular opening tab until the caps naps fully open.
- With the inhaler pointed toward the ground, press the dose release button. Look for a MIST.
- Repeat steps until visible mists have been dispensed.
If your inhaler has not been used for 21 days, you need to prime again. Priming on your new device does not count against the total medication doses.
Soft Mist Inhaler Part 2 (How to use your SMI?)
- Keep the cap closed.
- TURN the clear base in the direction of the arrows on the label until it clicks (half a turn).
- OPEN the cap until it snaps fully open.
- Breathe out slowly and fully.
- Close the lips around the mouthpiece without covering the air vents. Point the inhaler to the back of the throat.
- While taking a slow, deep breath through the mouth, PRESS the dose release button and continue to breathe in slowly for as long as comfortable.
- Hold the breath for 10 seconds or for as long as comfortable.
- Repeat TURN, OPEN, PRESS after 30-60 seconds for a total of 2 puffs.
- Close the cap until the inhaler is used again.
The SMI has a dose indicator on the side of the device. The dose indicator shows about how many doses are left in the gadget. When the pointer enters the red area of the scale there is enough medicine for 7 days. Plan to get a new gadget at this point.
When the pointer gets to the bottom of the red area, there are no doses left. The inhaler locks.
Cleaning and Storing SMI
- Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
- Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton and on the inhaler label. The expiry date refers to the last day of the month.
- Do not freeze. Store the device in a dry place.
- Close the cap when not in use.
- Clean the mouthpiece, the inside metal piece within the device, and the outside of the inhaler every after use with cloth with alcohol and then dry with damp cloth.
- Discharge the cartridge three months after insertion.
- Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.